Friday, May 8, 2009

Update on Exhaustion

Quinn is now 5 weeks old...

I haven't blogged in forever since life has been a little crazy the past few weeks! I have felt like I don't have much to talk about except the newest addition to our family so sometimes it feels a little redundant. Boy, a newborn can really kill the social life!
Although I feel like readers might find our life a little boring after awhile...here's some updates on what's been happening in the Chandler household:

Eric's mom just left last weekend after spending the last three weeks with us (and splitting her time with his sister, Kisha). It was wonderful to have her as she spent MANY nights up with Quinn and allowing us to sleep! Ahhhh....She is a wonderful woman and we miss her already. Eric's U. Bob, A. Marla and cousin Bryan came up (from southern IN) to pick up his mom so we also spent an evening visiting with them. We haven't seen them in a couple of years so it was a nice time.

My friend, Leah from Virginia just came this past weekend and we were able to spend a day together....what a nice reprieve.

Eric finished this semester of school! I might be more excited than he is!

Now, in the quietness of just our family, we are trying to re-establish some semblance of routine and order (okay, I am trying to establish this... :) ) Sometimes the boys work with me and sometimes they don't...and this means ALL of them.

Those that I talk to frequently know that Quinn has not been sleeping. AT ALL. Not only were his days and nights mixed up but he wasn't sleeping during either one. He was awake sometimes for 6-8 hours at a stretch and often would only sleep about 20-30 minutes at a time. Long stretches consisted of 1 1/2 hours, maybe 2 if we were lucky and prayed really hard. When he did sleep he was very fidgety and restless. It did get to the point of pretty much complete exhaustion on my part (including several crying jags, dizziness and much frustration), pretty significant exhaustion on E's part and poor Quinn had bags under his puffy little eyes and was miserable. Thank goodness for Isaiah who can sleep through anything, and I do mean ANYTHING. I finally called the doctor and they had me switch Quinn to soy formula even though he wasn't necessarily displaying fussiness and was eating fine. This miracle happened two days ago and the past two nights he has slept like a normal infant should. He still wakes up but is sleeping 3-4 hours at a time, is awake for a period of time and then takes a nice, peaceful, restful, un-fidgety nap. He is also burping easier and seems less gassy (sp?) which is also a blessing. While it could be a fluke and the past two nights have just been God's blessing, I am also hoping that they are due in part to the formula change and will continue.

Isaiah continues to be amazing with Quinn, is very loving and is helpful beyond belief. I am thankful for him every day. I am constantly amazed by the love that he shows Quinn and for the love that I feel for both of them.



No comments: