Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Take It All Back...

Last night at 4:30 in the morning, I was in the kitchen getting ready to feed Quinn. He was laying happily in his bouncy seat on the counter and I was at the sink talking to him when I suddenly saw something out of the corner of my eye. I turned around and in that split second I realized the black shadow I saw swooping was a bat. A bat the size of a crow!

As I gasped, I dropped to the floor (in a crouch) and realized I was shaking pretty uncontrollably. It was in this instant that I also realized that my baby, my poor, poor baby was sitting in his bouncy seat ON TOP of the counter right inthe center of the kitchen where this crow-sized bat was swooping. Due to the kitchen being the ONLY room in our house with lower ceilings, this bat was circling right above my head and horrifyingly around my child. This said, apparently Quinn didn't mind as the entire time I was freaking out he was handling his business accomanied with grunts and groans and then began talking and cooing. He was quite happy to say the least. Maybe this bat was providing amusement?!?!?!

Meanwhile, I continued to crouch because the bat never stopped flying long enough for me to stand up and save my baby. At some point I grabbed the trash can lid and waited for the bat to fly towards me again. Thought was to slam it with the lid, thus stunning it, covering it with the lid and running upstairs to wake up a sleeping and blissfully ignorant Eric.

Suddenly everything went quiet and when I waddled out farther to see if it had stopped to hang on the ceiling again, it was GONE. With trash can lid in tow, I stood up, grabbed Quinn and ran through the dining room, up the stairs, through our bedroom door and breathlessly (and quite loudly) yelled "Eric, there's a bat!" (Quinn was still quite content considering he had yet to eat). He sat straight up and I am sure wondered what in the world the mother of his child was doing. I was shaking more that I would ever like to admit.

Eric, being quite the man of the house (and deathly afraid of bats) armed himself with the trashcan lid and a sheet and went down to rid us of this intruder. Meanwhile, all the lights were turned on and doors shut. A million minutes passed before Eric informed me there was no bat to be found so I went down to help look. God bless him, he also stayed up for a million more minutes to wait and see if it would come out.

We have decided that there is a little carck in the wall by our cupboards that this huge bat must have squeezed through. Still have seen no sign of him. This story complete...

ERIC, I TAKE IT ALL BACK! I take back every story I have told of your bat battles (we have had two previous to this one in the last 8 years we have lived here), all the laughs I have had in recounting them (although they are really funny), and any thoughts I may have had on the simpleness of catching one myself. I am absolutely horrified and obscenely disgusted by the huge bat that ruined my middle of the night feeding (Quinn's that is). Thank you for rushing to save us!

The Scene of the crime (and the crouch)...

2 comments:

Deeb said...

The thought of you crouching and hiding is pretty funny, though that's certaintly what I would have been doing!! Go Eric!

Jen Myers said...

yikes!!! i hate bats as well and can't imagine finding one in my kitchen and flying over my baby!!! hope it never comes back.